FLAMES Summer School
in Methodology and Statistics
September 8-12, 2014 & September 15-19, 2014
Set in the historical city of Ghent, FLAMES (Flanders Training Network for Methodology and Statistics) organized a two-week Summer School aimed at providing practical methodological and statistical training to young researchers (particularly PhD students) from all disciplines.
After the success of the first FLAMES Summer School in 2013, and with the useful feedback of its participants, we hoped to have offered an even better experience, improving on both content and shape. Our program was expanded to include 6 additional courses from which participants could choose (for more details see Courses). Each course emphasized everyday research practice and seamlessly connected theory with hands-on exercises or lab sessions, focusing on various disciplines and software packages whenever possible.
Courses were offered on:
in week 1:
- Research Methodology
- Basic Statistical Principles
- Basic Regression Analysis
- Qualitative Analysis with NVIVO
- Statistics for Linguistics
in week 2:
- Hands-on Research Methodology
- Concepts of Multilevel, Longitudinal and Mixed Models
- Advanced Regression Topics
- Advanced Computing in R
- Focus Groups
- Narrative Analysis
For more information on the content of the courses, please click here. Please note that participation in some courses may require particular knowledge, although there are no overall prerequisites for participating in this Summer School. Possible prerequisites are indicated in the content overview. For an overview of the schedule, click here. The language of instruction is English.
During and in between sessions, participants had the opportunity to closely interact with instructors and other participants, making the most of this experience for their own research. Ties could be further strengthened at one of our social events.
- Intensive training by an international staff of highly competent instructors
- Practically oriented with hand-on exercises and/or lab sessions
- Focus on various software packages (SPSS, SAS, R, NVIVO)
- Geared towards various disciplines
- Connecting with international participants
Classes took place in and around building S9, campus Sterre, Ghent. For more information on this location, click here.